Recently I’ve had the urge to purge about 50% of my belongings. I am so tired of laundry, piles of things, and general organizing. I work outside of our home full-time, am a part-time student, and like to entertain my kids once we are home and on weekends. I don’t like to clean (unless I’m mad- it’s cathartic) nor do I like to ingest nasty chemicals while cleaning. I’ve been trying to use more gentler and economical products for my home and I’ve found a few good uses for vinegar to fulfill both of my needs. Try some yourself and let me know how they worked!
20 uses for vinegar for your home;
1. Spritz white vinegar on mirrors and clean with tissue paper for a streak-free shine.
2. Use to polish silver and clean tarnished jewelry.
3. Make a scrubbing paste for sinks and counter tops by mixing baking soda with white vinegar.
4. Heat white vinegar, then pour 2-3 teaspoons of baking soda down the drain and follow with the heated vinegar…great for de-greasing and unclogging the drain!
5. Let 2 cups of vinegar sit in the toilet for a few hours before you clean the toilet; it will do most of the tough work for you. Plus, it disinfects at the same time.
6. Remove the smell from mildewed towels by adding 1/2 cup to the wash cycle.
7. Clean the windows – this is especially great after storms and nasty weather when the windows are dusty and dirty.
8. Grimy microwave? Loosen stuck-on food particles by boiling 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar in a microwave safe bowl.
9. Remove soapy buildup from the dishwasher by running it empty with vinegar in the detergent compartment.
10. Clean out the fridge and make the shelves sparkling clean again by wiping them down with a 50/50 mix of warm water and white vinegar.
11. Deodorize the garbage disposal by dumping some hot white vinegar down it.
12. Soak cloudy glassware in white vinegar for 20 minutes to remove mineral buildup.
13. Get rid of pesky fruit flies naturally! Set out a small dish of vinegar (red wine vinegar works great for this one).
14. Wipe down the inside of the oven, BBQ grill, or other greasy surface with distilled vinegar.
15. If your shower-head doesn’t seem to be spraying as well as it used to, fill a gallon size Ziploc bag partway with a mixture of 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar. Tie the bag around the shower nozzle and let it soak for about an hour.
16. Wipe down the tub with undiluted white vinegar to remove grime, bacteria, and mildew. Rinse well with warm water.
17. If you have a Keurig or similar single-cup coffee maker, run 2 cups of white vinegar through it monthly to keep mineral deposits from forming and help your coffee machine run to its’ full potential.
18. Easily clean mini blinds by dipping the end of a cotton rag in vinegar and wiping the top and bottom of the blinds down.
19. If your plastic food storage containers are stained or smelly, simply wipe them out with a cloth soaked in vinegar.
20. A 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and table salt will make a paste that is perfect for cleaning tarnished brass or pewter.
Good luck and happy cleaning!